November 10, 2010

First, my apologies as this blog post is in some ways repetitive. But I believe it is important. And in fact the circumstances in which we find ourselves, a new congress coming in after a historical election, make it even more so. The subject is simply honesty. I remember a time when we took this for granted. I'm not ancient, nor am I young. But I remember a time when a Man's word was his bond. We were taught as children that your honor was the one thing that could not be taken from you. We now live in a time when some in the media actually admired the way in which a former president could lie. They were impressed with his ability to lie without flinching. It was actually seen as an admirable trait for a politician. I guess it was only a matter of time, but seriously, we all get to decide what kind of a world in which we want to live. More importantly, we decide what kind of a world we will pass on. Lying? Really? That's the trait that you want to pass to your kids?

Please join me in reinstating the honor, dignity and common decency of simply being honest. The thing about lying is that once you do it, we know who and what you are. It takes a long time to gain our trust again. Let us dispense with this childish attitude that we all lie and therefore we need not hold people accountable. You lie to me, you separate yourself from me. I don't care who you are.

We have elected a new crowd into Congress. We have high expectations of them. I know that no one is perfect, but I am watching you. If you lie to me, you are forever out of my favor. Next!

Please join me in holding people at their word, in all walks of life. And while we're at it, perhaps we should consider telling the truth ourselves. It really isn't that hard. Though...you will lose a few friends. Seems some folks don't cotton to the truth right off.

by: Keith D. Rodebush

No comments:

Post a Comment